Sunday, December 4, 2011

College dropouts becoming more popular

I am 34 years-old and am attending college to hopefully better my career. On a daily basis I find myself wondering if this is what will work for me. I mean, I sure do hope so, spending thousands of dollars on my education, I hope it's worth it. Many students are leaving school for other reasons according to The Dropout Dilemma. Students spend alot of their high school tenure working on getting into college. Once they get to where they want to be they begin getting homesick and start missing what they know best, home. The student in this article began confining himself to his room, emailing back home and not doing so well in school. College is not what they had expected, many want to just get back home to what they know best.

The article suggests some options to help make the transition to college easier. One thing is to try to join activities. The article describes some people as not being "social butterflies". These people resort back to their dorm for comfort because they do not like approaching new people. The article suggests joining activities and groups to aid in meeting new people.

Another suggestion is to take a course such as University 101 ( yes, its an actual course) to learn how to adapt to college and to take advantage of what it has to offer. College is not an easy experience, by coming out of your shell and trying to things it can be the best experience of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment