Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Final thoughts....Finally

With my Business Writing class coming to an end, it was asked that we talk about our thoughts on social sites and what affects it has on business today. Technology is becoing more sought after as a way to communicate not only within a company but also when it comes to seeking perspective employees. This not only creates a "closer relationship" between employer and potential employee but also give employee access to private information about the employee. This can be good and bad, depending on what is found I guess.

There are many social sites out there like Facebook and Twitter where potential employers can find information about you. When we post to sites like this, the last thing on our mind is whether it will do harm to us later. I think I need to start thinking about this more often so I do not incriminate myself later. When I enter the professional world, I want to be seen as a professional inside and outside of work. I think a great place to start that mindset would be on social sites. These sites may be somebosies first impression of me, might as well make it a good impression.

As much as I dont like the whole idea, social media is a part of business. There are good and bad things about it. One good thing is that it allows business's to get information out there that others are interested in. Information that might draw potential customers. The whole world uses the internet, why not advertise there? A bad thing about social media and business is the fact that it's hard to hide information that you do not want others to see. I think that everybody has the right to have fun or to be silly on occasion. When we decide to share this on the internet, it's there for everybody to see. I don't feel I should have to fear somebody seeing this information.

How do we get around it? The best safegurad would be to not share your drunk, skinny dipping excursion you had over the weekend on Facebook. If you don't put the information out there, then there is no information to be found. As some begin to enter their professional careers, it's time to start looking at social media from a different perspective. A perspective which gives potential employers a positive outlook on you and what you can do for their company.

I do not agree with social media being used for business decisions but I can't change that. My best practice will be to tread lightly and understand that the information I put on the web is not only being seen by my friends. Does it mean that I want to? No. Does it mean that I have to? I think so. Whether we like it or not business and the internet are going to intermingle permenantly and there is nothing I can do about it. I say, just make the best of it. You may be surprised what the outcome will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment