Thursday, November 10, 2011

How does immigration effect me?

Immigration and how it effects "me" is a very important topic. The talk is that immigrants lower wages by accepting lower paying jobs. In doing this, it allows for less competition in the job market when it comes to wages. The companies are going to take the immigration worker over a native-born worker. This is because the immigrant worker will accept the lower wage, preventing competition from others. In this article it discusses this topic and how it actually does effect wages. The census is that, in fact, the presence of immigrant workers, has little effect on wages. According to the study, wages are 2.4% below where they would be if immigrant workers did not exist. This is surprising to me. I think in the future I will research a little before I go jumping the gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment